Windows 10 does not require users to install an antivirus, since starting with Windows 8, the operating system has a built-in security system Windows Defender. But is this the best solution for providing reliable protection?
What is Windows Defender?
At one time, Windows Defender antivirus was very mediocre protection, which was inferior to many other free solutions, not to mention the monsters of the market. However, over the years, Microsoft has improved its software so much that now according to the best antivirus Reddit Windows Defender is one of the best options on the market.
Windows Defender is a modern version of Microsoft Security Essentials, a free product from Microsoft. Initially, it existed as a separate component, but now it is built into the OS and guarantees all Windows 10 PCs a good level of protection against various threats.
The utility automatically checks the running programs, updates the databases through the “Update Center” and has an interface for a full system check. In general, the utility reliably protects the PC system. Updating regularly (which is done automatically), using a modern browser, and avoiding dangerous plugins is a great way to protect yourself and your computer will be safe. In this case, the question of whether you need to install another antivirus or not loses its relevance. Moreover, following the standard recommendations and safety rules, which must always be adhered to, Defender will fully cope with its main task.
Windows Defender is the core of the security system built into the 10 version of the operating system by default. It protects files, searches for and removes malicious code, performs diagnostics on a set schedule, and this is not all the functionality. It fights threats and protects your system in real-time. It also warns about the appearance of viruses – Trojans, worms, and rootkits, during their installation, launch, or change of system parameters. It scans your PC for malicious code automatically or on schedule. If infected files are found, the program will delete them and notify the user about them.
The defender allows the user to make changes in its functionality:
Real-time protection. Helps detect malware and prevent it from installing or running on your computer. Protection consists of:
- Tracking the list of programs that automatically start at OS startup.
- Track Windows installations that are related to system security.
- Tracking components and security related to Internet Explorer.
- Tracking of services and drivers interacting with the OS and with running programs.
- Monitoring Windows Component Updates.
- Monitoring the startup of programs and all the actions they perform.
- Observing the tools and files that are used to register and autorun software.
- Cloud protection. Allows you to send data about potential security risks to Microsoft in real-time. Before sending, ask for the user’s permission.
- Automatic submission of samples. The data submission is sent automatically, without notifying the user.
- The user can independently specify the file that he wants to exclude from scanning and processing by the antivirus.
How to set up Windows Defender correctly?
For the defender to work properly, the databases must be constantly updated. By default, they are loaded automatically, and the user does not need to take any additional action. If desired, the procedure can be performed manually by clicking on the Check for Updates button in the Virus and threat protection updates category.
In the Virus and Threat Protection menu, you can also run a quick scan, manage the protection, change settings, or contact technical support. The protection settings enable or disable real-time cloud protection, add and remove exceptions, or even automatically send samples of suspicious documents.